Thursday, July 20, 2017

Facts Over Feelings

    

       We all have them...feelings. But what do you do when how you feel start to take over what you know?  Webster dictionary defines a feeling as "an emotional state or reaction."  The word that stood out to me the most was STATE. I went even further to find that definition as well. State is defined as "the particular condition that someone or something is in at a specific time." Ok, I get it! You can feel a certain way at one point in the day and then those feelings can change in a heartbeat. One minute you can be feeling really down about something. Then later on, you receive some encouragement from a fellow brother or sister and then your emotional state now upbeat and joyful. You're back in your normal state. See, feelings and emotions are temporary. They change from time to time. Now like I said before, there is nothing wrong with feelings. That's not the problem. The problem is when how you feel starts to steer your thinking into a negative direction. Negative feelings can deter you from what's real and the truth.

         There's a saying "Feelings are much like waves. We can't stop them from coming, but we can choose which ones to surf." Just because you are feeling a certain way, does not mean you have to focus on or even act on it. Sometimes I don't feel like going to work, but I know that I have to go because there is money to be made and I have a job to do as part of a team. Sometimes, I feel like eating a bucket of fried chicken all by myself, but I know that could cause health issues as far as high cholesterol. You could be feeling like because your day is terrible then your life is terrible too. You know that's not true. At the end of the day, you have a choice to either go with how you're feeling or go with the truth.

           I found several different definitions on the word FACT. A fact is first defined as "The quality of being actual or something that has actual existence." It was also defined as "An actual occurrence."   A fact is also defined as "A piece of information presented as having objective reality." As you can see, the word "fact" is associated with other words such as actual, reality, and truth. So what's real? Let me share with you my story. This is something that I struggle with like many others. Often times, I let my feelings and emotions lead and cloud the facts of what's real. My feelings can cause me to want to make emotion decisions. My feelings can cause me to want to have a pity party. My feelings can cause me to be in a negative state of mind. But what's real? I remember writing in a previous post about how I didn't FEEL saved. I KNEW for a fact that I was saved because of Romans 10:9 "that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth The Lord Jesus, and shalt believe on thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." But because I didn't feel this huge, immediate change come over me instantly, then it put me in my feelings while I was in college. SALVATION IS NOT A FEELING. IT IS A FACT. Once you have accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, it is done. You cannot lose your salvation. You cannot be plucked out of the Lord's hands. When you are in your feelings, please believe that the devil is ready to have a field day with your mind and thought process while deterring from what you know is the truth.

John 10:10 says, "The thief cometh not, but to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I (Jesus) am come that they might have life and have it more abundantly." 

             "I feel as if I can't do this."  The enemy has stolen your knowledge that you KNOW that you can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 4:13)
              " I feel as if I will never make it through school. What's the use?" The enemy has killed your dreams. 
              "I feel as if I am worthless. I am not good enough." The enemy has destroyed how you see yourself. God thought you were worth it when He sent His only begotten Son to die on the cross for you. (John 3:16)

              See what I mean? We have to be able to separate how we feel vs what's real. If you are letting your feelings and emotions take over your life, you are putting yourself in bondage. Galatians 5:1 says, "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again withe the yoke of bondage." Christ has made us free. We don't have to be entangled in bondage because we know the truth.  Ask God to help you break that chain of bondage.

So how do I do this exactly?
First, you have to put your feelings in check. Which ones are worth acting on? Are your feelings lining up with the word of God? If not, cast down what has exalteth itself against the truth.

II Corinthians 10:5 says, "Cast down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

Facts over feelings. You cannot let how you feel overshadow the word of God. By reading your word, you understand what is fact and what is true. Your feelings will change from moment to moment. Matthew 24:35 says, "Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." The truth will always be the truth no matter how you feel.

The next thing you have to do is adjust your focus. Sometimes, we can be so focused on ourselves and our situations. We need to shift our focus to Jesus and the things which are above. This makes it a lot easier to focus on what's true. Here are two scriptures about keeping your focus on Jesus.
Colossians 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not the things on this earth.
Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep thee in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee.
God is bigger than how you feel. We have to be careful not to put our trust there. We believe God.

Last but certainly not least, PRAY and read his word. Ask God to help you to remember his truth when you start feeling a certain way.  Cast down any negative emotions.

Your life is not determined on how you feel. Don't let your feelings get in the way of seeing things as they truly are. Your feelings and negative emotions can distract you from doing what God needs you to do. There is work to be done. Maybe you are feeling the spirit of procrastination. Cast that feeling down and get started on what you need to do. Never let you feelings cause you to forget what is real. Today, start choosing the facts and the truth over how you feel. God over feelings.

ACKNOWLEDGE. FIX. KEEP IT MOVING..



1 comment:

  1. Happy that you listened to me and started back blogging. Great word Gabrielle! Keep up your God given gift. I was very encouraged. ❤️

    ReplyDelete