Sunday, November 2, 2014

Discontentment: When Jesus Is Not Your Focus



         Lately, I found myself struggling with not being content in some areas in my life. I was becoming discouraged about my current situation and not really trusting God's timing for my future. I found myself on Facebook playing the "comparison game" with my life.  I started going down my newsfeed looking at all of the engagements and wedding announcements, new jobs, graduate and professional school journeys, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I was extremely happy for everyone but I started to feel a little inadequate because I haven't had a major change in my life. I was like well...Lord I've been single for 7 years and I honestly don't see that changing in the next year or so....uh marriage? Lord, people are taunting me about living by myself with 42 cats or living with my parents forever.  I was tired of dealing with my job and feeling like I didn't make enough money. My dream to go to school was deferred. I just really started to get down on myself and become really negative. Then on top of it, I found myself reading various blogs about "Where I Should Be by the Time I'm 30" and "What I Should Have By the Time I'm 30." (Mind you, I'm 27). I quickly started to focus on what I was lacking instead of what God has already blessed me with. I was like well...maybe I need to have it together before 30. I was filling my mind and heart with what OTHER people was saying I should have and what I should be doing by "their timing" instead of what GOD has already laid out in HIS TIMING.

Proverbs 4:23 (KJV) says, "Keep (Guard) your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."

         You have to be careful what seeds you plant into your heart. If you're constantly on social media watching other people's lives and not trusting what God has for your life or reading blogs and listening to other people's input about your life, then you are planting seeds of discontentment into your heart which will sprout up negativity, sorrow, and jealousy. Your focus should be on Jesus and Jesus alone. I noticed that my focus had shifted to what other people were saying instead of the promises Jesus made to those who love Him and this happens with many of us. But do we really trust Him? Do we really trust when God said in Genesis 2:18 "It is not good that the man should be alone" or in Exodus 14:14, "He shall fight for you and ye shall hold your peace" or in Philippians 4:19 that "He shall supply all your needs according to the riches in glory" or in 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for thee, for my strength is made perfect in weakness?"
We have to lean on these promises and understand that God is in control of everything...EVERYTHING. Not us. We may have plans for our life but God's purpose is what is going to prevail in the end. Nobody and I mean NOBODY can tell you about where and what you need to be doing in your life. He knows exactly what He is doing. The blueprint for your life has already been laid out.

Jeremiah 1:5 (KJV) says, "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee.."

God already knew what purpose and plans He had already laid out for you. He created you! So how dare we listen to someone's input or "list" about our lives? Jesus has to be the center point of our lives. When you put your trust in Him, everything else will fall exactly how it was predestined to fall into place.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 (KJV) says, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."

Our lives are divided into different seasons that we have to go through. Some seasons will be longer than others. Some seasons will be harder than others and some will be better than others. Through each season, we need to trust God and trust the process. We need to understand that everything is working together for our good. (Romans 8:28) God is using these seasons to prepare and condition you for what's next to come. God is not going to send you something or somewhere if He feels like you're ill prepared for. He will never send you something too soon. He will be right on time. That's why God has made everything beautiful in His timing (Eccl 3:11).  

So what do you need to do? Here are 5 Things You Need To Do To Get Your Focus Back on Jesus

(1) Be thankful! Instead of focusing on what everyone else has and what you do not have, focus on what God has already blessed you with. When Jesus is the center point of your life, you won't have time to compare because you are focused on Him and the purpose He has for you. You are exactly where you are suppose to be at this moment. I'm not saying you are going to be here forever but for this season, this is where you are suppose to be. God has you here for a reason. I've had people tell me that I should have it together by now. Wait...what? My life is not together on their standards. Let's see...I have my bachelor's degree, I have job, I have my own car meaning I pay my car note, pay the bills I do have, and file my taxes. I had someone in my past tell me that working at Wal-Mart was
not good enough. I had someone ask me why was I still living with my parents? Did these things stick with me? Yes. But I REFUSED to let them make me become ungrateful for where God has brought me. People say things without knowing your situation. I trust God. I trust that one day He will bless me financially enough to be able to fund me living on my own but until then, I'm content with where I am. I fought and prayed hard for where I am now. I came a loooooooong way and I had to go through a lot! I fought, prayed, and trusted to get my biology degree 4 years ago. I prayed and studied to become a CERTIFIED pharmacy technician. I prayed and searched for a job in a pharmacy until God opened the door. I've been a registered pharmacy technician since 2011 and I've been actively working in the field since 2012. I am aware of 200 different brand and generic medications (I can name at least 50-60 off of the top of my head and indications) and at least 50 over the counter medications. Plus, I created this blog where I'm spreading the gospel as well as encouraging others and a ministry that promotes purity for girls and teens. Shoot....that's good enough for me!

(2) Prayer works! You have to stay in constant prayer. Never stop. If we handled most of our situations with prayer instead of complaining, do you know what change you would start to see? Spend quiet time with the Lord each day and listen to what it is that He wants you to do.

(3) Transform your mind. The devil has a way to get in your head and have a field day. You have to change the way you think. Ask the Lord to remove anything that is not like Him. Remove the traits of discontentment, envy, impatience, sorrow, anger, etc. Ask him to loose patience, joy, contentment, and strengthen your faith. Trust God and acknowledge Him in everything that you do. What God does for one, He will do it for you too. Put your focus back on Jesus.

(4) Guard Your Heart (Prov 4:23) STOP listening to everything and everyone else about your life. Nobody can tell you what to do or where you need to be...not these blogs, not these talk shows, not your family, not your friends, not your co-workers, not your church members...nobody but God. Your life is already laid out. So be very careful what you let enter into your mind and heart because it can consume you in a very negative way. Plant the word in your heart and meditate on that. You will start to see your faith grow stronger.

(5) Trust God. Point. Period. Blank. I know it sounds easier than it is but this is a must. You have to know that God is leading your life and you have to LET HIM LEAD. You can't keep trying to grab the wheel from Him. He doesn't need your help or suggestions. You have to die to yourself everyday and humble yourself. Let God do what it is that He does.

Last night I told Jesus that I didn't care if He gave me a husband or not, or if He wanted me to stay where I was professionally, I told him that I trust Him and I only desired to serve Him. I only wanted to focus on Him. I knew that with Jesus at the center point of my life meant that I wanted whatever purpose He had for me and not what I had in mind. I would rather be characterized for being a servant of Jesus than by who I was married to, where I worked, where I lived, or how much money made. We should all at the end of this life want to hear the words "Well Done." As long as you are striving for that, then your life was together the whole time. So get your mindset back on track. Keep Jesus as the center of your focus and everything will fall into place exactly when it is suppose to. God's timing is beautiful. It's perfect and it's right on time.


(1) top left: high school, college, and pharmacy tech graduations
(2) top right: certified pharmacy technician for 2 1/2 years so far
(3) bottom left: I started a ministry in 2012 called "Princess Tea", a program that promotes purity for girls and teens and living a life holy for God
(4) bottom right: I put a slaying to a face! Freelance makeup artist 
God has graced me in several areas and I have every reason to be content and thankful because I wasn't always HERE. 

Acknowledge. Fix. Keep it Moving...

Reference Scriptures
Proverbs 3:4-5 (He will direct your paths)
I Corinth 2:9 (The things God has prepared for those who love him)
Jeremiah 29:11 (For I know the thought I think towards you)
I Peter 5:6-7 (Humble yourselves)
Habakkuk 3:17-19 (Rejoice
Luke 17:6 (Faith like a mustard seed)
Matthew 6:33-34 (Seek first the Kingdom of God)
Matthew 7:7-8 (Ask and You Shall Receive)
Philippians 4:11-13 (Contentment)




No comments:

Post a Comment