Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Anger, Wrath, and Self-Control

I have to admit, we live in a very angry and impatient society. You either turn on the television and see the violence that is happening around the world or you stroll down your newsfeed on Facebook and see the various videos being shared of people fighting. But where does it all stem from? ANGER AND WRATH. People are lacking self-control and patience. Do you know that in the bible, these two traits are listed as "fruit of the spirit"?


Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT) says, "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness, and SELF-CONTROL. There is no law against these sayings."


I can definitely say that I was one that lacked patience most of the time. I would tell someone in a minute, I don't have a patience and I get annoyed very easily. Yes, I sometimes let my anger get the best of me. Still it's a trait that is a work in process. We're human and sometimes our emotions will get the best of us. But we need to pray and shut that spirit down as soon as we feel it coming on. 
With me? It stemmed from my past. I used to let a lot of people run over me ever since I could remember. It lasted all the way through my college years. I was viewed as weak. This definitely caused a difference in my character. I developed an angry spirit and became very impatient with people. I didn't let disrespect fly over with me. I would even cuss someone out for looking at me sideways. I had developed road rage. I was always seeking revenge. I didn't let anyone get over on me and if they did, they were definitely going to pay. 



But is this the spirit that we should have as believers? Does this trait reflect the heart of Christ?
ABSOLUTELY NOT

 The bible described the character of Jesus Christ as meek and humble. What is meekness you may ask?
TheFreeDictionary.com defines meek as (1) showing patience and humility; gentle
Webster defines meek as (1) enduring injury with patience and without resentment : mild (2) deficient in spirit and courage: submissive (3) not violent or strong: moderate

Society likes to associate meekness with weakness. Not the case at all. Being meek as you can see from the previous definitions is revolving closely around patience. Being meek means in any hot or pressured situation, you have self-control and are able to endure what has come against you without resulting to anger or wrath. EVERY SITUATION DOESN'T REQUIRE A REACTION.  Now I'm not saying that you should just let people disrespect you, but it's a loving way to go about it.

Proverbs 15:1 (NLT) says, "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare."

Anger is dangerous thing to play with. What if you lose your life responding to a situation with wrath? For example, was cussing that person out worth you getting in a fight and/or getting killed? You don't always have to seek revenge or pay someone back with the same thing they did to you.

Proverbs 24:29 (KJV) says, "Say not, I will do so to him as he hath done to me: I will render to the man according to his work." 

Romans 12:17,19 (NLT) says, "Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. (19) Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the scriptures say, I will take revenge; I will pay them back says The Lord." 

We have to understand as children of God, that we are to love everyone. This is what God has commanded of us. We should show mercy to all people.  (What if God treated us with impatience? Would you still be here?) God has our back 24/7. Evil doers cannot get over on you. They will be cut off. We don't have to be angry or seek revenge. We really need to have wisdom when it comes to anger and self-control. (Check out proverbs) Sometimes you have to just be quiet. Sometimes you have to just let things blow over your shoulder. You have to become meek and show that you have self-control. Expressing anger or wrath is not worth losing your a friendship, job, your sanity, respect, you not being able to go to your favorite restaurant or business or even your life. The next time you feel like you wanna go off on somebody, just take a breath, pray, and ask yourself is it really worth it?

Here are some other reference scriptures on anger and self control: 
Proverbs 13:3
Proverbs 14:29
Proverbs 15:18
Proverbs 16:32
Proverbs 18:13
Proverbs 18:21
Proverbs 19:19
Proverbs 21:23
Proverbs 22:24-25
Proverbs 25:28
Proverbs 29:11
Proverbs 29:22
Proverbs 30:33
Psalms 37:8-9
Eccles 7:9
Ephes 4:26
Ephes 4:29-32

Acknowledge (the problem)  Fix (the problem) Keep it moving














1 comment: